The 3 day walking program to the plains around Longido mountains, 80 km north of Arusha, features an insight into the traditions of Masai culture. The lush area is home to rare birds and animals.
The Itinerary includes:
- A nature trail to spot birds
- A climb to the impressive Longido mountain through a dense natural forest
- Walking safari through the Maasai plains and over the slopes of Longido mountain
- A visit to a traditional Maasai village
- A tour of historical sites dating back to British colonial times
- The Local Guides are of the Masai tribe and will guide you well in English and where necessary sign language will be used. They have good experience in guiding tourists in the area and deep cultural insight.
- Various excursions and tours can be booked through Tanzania Tourist Board-Tourist Information Office in Arusha or throughyour tour operator/travel agent/lodge and Hotel Operator or direct from our website http://machameculturaltourism.com
Program Details by Day
Day 1: Bird Walk Tour and Masai boma Visit
Longido is rich in birdlife. Some of the birds seen in this area starling major, red and yellow Barbet, Masked Weaver, Silver Bill and Secretary Bird.
A bird walk through the Masai plains starting from the town of Longido to the bomas of OI Tepesi allows you to see birds as well as trees and plants used by the locals to make food and medicines. Later, we will visit a Masai boma to see the Masai lifestyle and possible some traditional events.
Day 2: Kimokouwa Walk Tour and Colorful Cattle Market Visit
A walking safari from OI Tepesi to Kimokouwa along a cattle trail . Gradually climb to an altitude of 1,600m to get panoramic views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Meru. Descend to Kimokouwa’s green “valley of wells” and nearby historic British grave. On Wednesdays, you can extend your stay by visiting the bustling and colorful cattle market.
Day 3: Longido Mountain Climbing
Early next morning , follow narrow footpaths through dense natural forests for three hours to reach the beautiful ‘dawa ya supu’ or medicine soup viewpoint. Another two hours’ climb leads you to the top of Longido mountain to enjoy fantastic views of the other mountains of northern Tanzania. The descent back to the campsite takes about three hours. Finish with a meal with the FARAJA women’s group.