4 Day Trek, Mount Meru
Mount Meru Trekking will let you see larger animals such as buffaloes and elephants at the lower altitudes and smaller animals like the duikers and reedbucks at higher altitudes. Mount Meru is the second highest in Tanzania after Mount Kilimanjaro and under Extinct Volcano category.
Itinerary Day by Day Details
Day 1: At Miriakamba Hut (2514 m): 4 -6 hours
After the morning breakfast, we will travel from your hotel in Arusha Mommella Gate of Arusha National Park where you will do registration and get the armed ranger who will escort us throughout the trek.
In the first day, we will hike the montane forest with the chance to encounter animals and birdlife enroute up to a large fig tree on the way your lunch point for the day.
After lunch you will be on your way where you will enjoy the sun go down with awe inspiring views over the plains and Mount Kilimanjaro on a clear day. We will spend an overnight at Miriakamba Hut. All meals included.
Day 2: Trekking through Montane Forest
The second day early in the morning we will trek through the montane forest up through the giant heather and other moorland vegetation to
We will then hike further up, to the hut located at the saddle below the Little Meru.
We will take lunch here at the hut and if you wish you can take a walk up the nearby summit of Little Meru (3820m) for stunning views just before sunset.
Overnight at Saddle Hut. All meals included.
Day 3: Trek to the Summit
We will wake up early in the morning and get on our last ascend to the Rhino Point (3800 m) and trek further to the ridge of rock and ash to reach Cobra point at (4350 m) at sunrise to enjoy the awe rousing views of the Great Kilimanjaro Cone floating within the morning foggy clouds and the clear day stunning views of the Great Rift Valley to the west.
From here we trek up the last 200 meters to the Summit; Socialist Peak and after about an hour you will be on the top. Congratulation for having made it to the top of the second highest point in Tanzania, you will trace your way back down and enjoy what has been termed as the most exhilarating trekking in Africa while walking on the narrow (knife) ridge between the inner cliffs of the crater and the outer rocky slopes of this Volcano.
Your Breakfast awaits you at Saddle Hut and after breakfast you will descend further to Miriakamba Hut your first home which becomes also your last home on the mountain. You will take lunch and relax for the rest of the day; mission almost completed. Overnight at Miriakamba Hut. All meals included.
Day 4: Miriakamba Hut – Momella Gate – Arusha
In the morning immediately after breakfast you will be on the last descent down to the gate where you will spend about 2-3 hours downhill. You will again encounter the animals that you missed up hill and the birdlife as well. Once you exit the gate checking out, you will be transferred back to Arusha city where you will check back at your hotel again ready for your departure to home the following day or Safari extension.
Price includes the following:
• Tanzania VAT on tourism activities and park fees
• Return transfers Kilimanjaro airport to Arusha and Arusha to Kilimanjaro airport
• Hotel Lodging the night before and the night after the climb, with dinner and breakfast included (double occupancy)
• with bed dinner and breakfast
• Transfer from your hotel to starting point for your climb, and return to your hotel after your climb
• Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
• All Kilimanjaro National Park gate fees, camping fees and climbing permits.
• Kilimanjaro National Park rescue fees (Kilimanjaro Rescue Team)
• Emergency oxygen (for use in emergencies only – not as summiting aid)
• Basic first aid kit (for use in emergencies only)
• Qualified mountain guide, assistant guides, porters and cook
• Salaries for mountain crew as per guidelines set by Kilimanjaro National Park
• Breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as hot drinks on the mountain
• Camping equipment (tents, camp chairs, tables & sleeping mattress
• Water for washing up daily
• Porter to carry your duffel bag (max weight 15kg / 32 lbs) from one camp to the next camp.
• Kilimanjaro National Park certificate for your successful summit attempt
• A comprehensive Climbing Kilimanjaro travel info pack
• Flying Doctor Service
Price Excludes the Following:
• Flights and airport taxes
• Items of a personal nature
• Compulsory tips for guides, porters and cook (average tip is anything from US $ 230 to US $ 300 per hiker – depending on number of days / how many hikers in the group and route chosen)
• South African passport holders do NOT require a visa for Tanzania, however most other Nationalities require a visa for Tanzania
• Health requirements (Yellow Fever compulsory if travelling to Tanzania recommended)
• Highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
• Personal hiking/trekking gear – we can rent some of the gear from our equipment store in Tanzania
• Optional but highly recommended Portable toilet
• Snacks, personal medicine and water purifying tablets
• Meals & drinks not specified and snacks